With numerous websites launching every year, it seems as whole world is turning to the internet to reap maximum advantages for their businesses. Most companies create a huge amount of digital and non-digital content such as financial data in spreadsheets, internal memos and external correspondence in word processing documents, customer/client information and product inventories in databases, creative work in graphic, video and audio files, email messages, handwritten documents and drawings and more. When you are looking for web development packages, it is important to thoughtfully choose CMS for your website.
When the amount of data is small, it is easy to maintain it at the document level. But, as the amount of data from the development process to the need to access it later. Content management system plays a crucial role in managing your data and making it accessible as and when need arises. There are very few commercial websites not having a content management system.
When you are planning to have a website for any small to mid-size business, it is advisable to use enterprise-ready CMS right at the beginning. However, before choosing any CMS, it is essential to determine what are the essential features that your CMS must have? Here is a glimpse of some important features of an effective content management system that serves your purpose in the long run:
- A good CMS always offer multiple levels of caching to optimize the performance of a website. If you are looking for better performance, it is recommended to look for a CMS that is able to run in a cloud environment.
- Your chosen CMS should be able to easily adaptable to other technology and platforms, as different CRM systems, ERPs, Social Networks, Mobile Applications etc. Plus, it should have good extensibility to upgrade features or add custom features at any stage.
- If you have plan to expand your business globally and reach the international audience in the future, it is essential that your CMS fulfils your multilingual CMS requirements. Many vendors provide multilingual capabilities through plugins or extensions in web development.
- As the number of content contributors increases, it is essential to have an advanced security management for your business. Permission control is an essential aspect of a secure CMS system. It should allow the admin to add new levels or adjust permission specifically for each users to add a formidable layer of security to the entire system
- Your chosen content management system should provide a fully customizable workflow process with configurable workflow scopes. A workflow model should be capable to fit your organization’s needs
- Most of the good web development companies provide an array of online marketing tools that are easy to integrate to optimize real-time customer-centric marketing across multiple channels.
- When you are looking for content management system, you can’t overlook SEO features in it. There are plenty of SEO features that makes your content management system more search engine friendly, however, some of them are as follows:
- Static looking pages are more palatable to search engine spiders. There should no query things.
- A CMS should support keyword rich URSLs
- RSS feeds are crucial to reach your potential audience and it should come integrated with CMS
- Tagging and tag clouds are powerful for SEO
- Page specific meta descriptions
A CMS plays an important role in making your website prolific enough to serve your purpose in the long run. One must do some extensive research to choose suitable content management system.